Saturday, December 16, 2006

In Heaven with Jesus

My son said the other day, "Kokum is in the hospital?" I said to him, quietly and as gently as I could, "Kokum is in Heaven with Jesus." He has repeated his question every day to me for the last 3-4 days and every time I tell him the same thing and then I ask him if he is ok, and he always answers me that he is. My mom was here with me until two weeks before she was gone, and I have changed her room into a partial play room for my son. He still says it is "Kokum's room." I know that the question is just a way of him checking out what things will be like, and now he asks to hear stories about Jesus. I know that he is wondering about Jesus, since I have told him that Kokum is with Jesus.

It comforts my son to know that Kokum is with someone that will take care of her. He asked a couple of times if Kokum was still not feeling better, and I told him Kokum is with Jesus and she is all better. He is looking for a way to know that his Kokum is ok. I know that and the first day he started to be very insistent about Kokum was hard, because up until then I have not allowed myself to feel very deeply yet. I can still feel myself holding back and not letting things get very far, but right now there is much to do...

We will go see my Uncle and Aunt over the holidays, and he has decided to call them Uncle Moshum and Auntie Kokum. I know that going forward that it is the way that he is dealing with things and I believe it is best, because at least he then sees that even though Kokum is not here and she is with Jesus that there are still those around us that can be a support regardless.

My angel, I think at the end of the day, his questions are helping me, and acknowleding what he needs helps reinforce it inside of me too.

No comments: