Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Bell's Palsy

WHAT IS BELL'S PALSY?
Bells palsy is a condition that causes the facial muscles to weaken or become paralyzed. It's caused by trauma to the 7th cranial nerve, and is not permanent.

My dad was experiencing stroke like symptoms since Friday, and when he finally went to the doctor and told me what is happening the doctor told him that it might be a minor stroke or Bell's Palsy. The doctor said that he hoped it was Bell's Palsy as it is minor and the damage is recoverable for most of what is suffered.

It is a virus in the brain stem, and causes the symptoms stated above. The symptoms are more extensive than the description above, and it takes anywhere from weeks to 18 months to recover.

My son was very worried when my dad had to leave for a few days awhile ago, and the extent of how much that upset him flooded back to me when the doctor said his first priority was to rule out a stroke. My son could not take something this hard at this time, but we are extremely relieved that it is something recoverable and that it is not life threatening at this time.

I made sure that my son was not aware of what was going on, as I knew that it would scare him too much. My son doesn't like the doctor or the hospital anymore as it has taken too many people that he dearly loved from him. I am still working on him to help him understand that doctors and hospitals are not just a place where your loved ones just go away forever.

My son doesn't let me go too far anymore, and I still re-assure him that I am alright and I will always be there for him. It is such a big thing for him to have to work through, and at best I don't try to make him understand, it is more about allowing him to feel what he is going through and let him know it is alright.

He is a very strong little boy, and I just want him to have some relief from things that are not a child's to have to endure. It is the reason why I help him through things the way I do, I don't expect him to be forced to understand or carry adult problems, but allow him to feel what he needs to and know that I am here when he wants to get through the emotions he needs too.

He is still able to be a child that way, and I feel he is able to have a childhood that way too.

1 comment:

SocietyVs said...

I have a friend with Bell's plasy and I saw him while he went through a battle with it for a few months. Oddly enough, he was back to normal as if nothing happened within a month or so - so no real damage was done. I hope your dad fares well with the doctors.