Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Disposable Society

I caught a bit of a show that my dad was watching today when I went home to get my son his dinner.

The show was on many things, but at the end of the day the basic question I had was "How much have we allowed society to become so disposable that there is no commitment to anything anymore?"

Society in its laws, and its emotional make-up and its support systems has become one that has built a foundation around the thought formula that "Don't let anyone feel badly for what they have done and don't let them feel remorse for the choices they make."

Each time I have read reports, and every time I hear about the way that courts make decisions, just supports these factors.

If we took one giant step back and evaluated what we have done and the decisions that we prefer, and evaluate it against what REALLY happens to children, youth, and to others I think we would suddenly question the celebration that everyone lives in where people live in a society where we "Don't let anyone feel badly for what they have done and don't let them feel TRUE remorse for the choices they make."

We become adults and suddenly what we lived through, becomes not so bad, because for some they pick up the baggage that parents left behind and passed on to the next generation who is us.

We at some point in our lives vowed that we would give something better to our children for their legacy, but at the end of the day as a society get caught up with, "Don't let anyone feel badly for what they have done and don't let them feel TRUE remore for the choices they make."

So, where does the cycle end? It ends with a choice knowing that it is ok to feel badly enough about bad choices and feel enough remorse to make a change that moves us this next generation away from the traps of the past and TRULY give our children a chance without abuse, addictions, and all of the negative things that caused us pain as children.

If society was not allowed to dispose of things so easily and had to face things instead, what would that look like?

What legacy would this create for those who count the most, our children who don't have a voice, because at the end of the day it is our children who have to truly endure our choices...

3 comments:

SocietyVs said...

"Don't let anyone feel badly for what they have done and don't let them feel TRUE remore for the choices they make."

It's such a funny world that way and I am wondering where our faith finds the balance in that sentence. Because feeling too badly about something can cause condemnation - in trying to get that remorse to be honest. I think this isn't something we can make someone do - by legislation.

I think why this is such a reviewed path is because some people have realized that this is an internal situation they have dealt with and seen some of the glory/joy of it. I am in some agreeance - lack of remorse for a crime does little to solve the problem - but remorse/guilt is also something we have to be admitting we have (some are not quite there). I hope they get there.

My Garden said...

The problem is that it is legislated to a degree, in the way the court treats marriage and the children that live through it.

I guess that is the disappointing part, because if it really was a heart issue then the court would not make decisions that save hurt feelings and would make decisions to protect children instead.

Just a poor state of affairs that the courts are in right now, and a case I heard about did not help my opinion I guess.

If the law was different perhaps the outcome would be different, because in the courts there is no real consequences anymore. Unless, you are rich of course or connected.

My Garden said...

....