Sunday, April 1, 2007

Teaching my son to tell story

My son and I tell story every night, or whenever we are just spending some time together. He says, "tell me story about..." He usually picks an animal and adds a little boy and his mommy or some other combination in there somehow.

It is a good exercise for me, because it helps me to realize that if I lay there and concentrate enough then I can tell quite the elaborate story for my son. Other times we are just silly and I just keep asking him, then what, and he adds a little blurb enough for me to start another little chapter in the story that he wants me to tell.

We went to the craft store and I bought these foam pieces that were cut into spaceship stuff and they have a sticky back to them and I also bought some sheets of foam to stick them to. My son and I just sat there and for a good couple of hours I let him pick pieces and stick them to the pages while he created his own story. It is something that takes quite a bit of time, because we really only did 5 pages, but to my son it meant the world, because it was a story that he made.

I realize afterward too, that since they are not pages bound together that he and I can tell endless different stories with the pages that he made...it is the simple things that win the heart of your child and it is the peaceful things that help to shape their character in the most tender way.

2 comments:

SocietyVs said...

Karla, is this your blog - man do I feel stupid - guess I lost a track of where you have been and what's been happening with you - sorry about my lapse of memory.

My Garden said...

Yup, I suppose that would be me